Saturday, April 29, 2006

Star Wars Lego and Geek + Jock = "GOOK"

Many of my friends know I am one of the biggest Star Wars fans out there, so the fact that I collect Star Wars Lego wouldn't be much of a surprise to any of them (I even have a Force Fx lightsaber but I'll talk about that another day). I literally have a whole shelf full of Star Wars lego and if you had read my blog not too long ago about cool toys you would know that I have a lego version of Princess Leia in her skimpy bikini from the Jabba palace scene in ROTJ. At one point a friend and I thought about recreating a scene from one of the movies with my lego using a stop motion camera that Lego was selling at the time, but a lack of $$$ quickly ended that idea. Star Wars lego has become super popular, so much that they made 2 great video games out of it, Star Wars Lego (based on the Ep. 1-3) and the soon to be released sequal Star Wars Lego 2 (based on the original triliogy...YEEESS!!!). Although I haven't bought any in the past year or so I still have quite a collection dating back to my days in cegep and my main problem now isn't really a lack of shelf space but "dust". Trying to dust lego is just as annoying as trying to paint stucco walls, both are tedious to do and time consuming. This afternoon while watching hockey I actually sat down with a box of Q-tips and tried to clean in between the lego stubs, but after maybe 10 minutes I gave up. Not only was it ridiculously freakin hard but I was making more of a mess from sneezing every 2 seconds, so if anyone knows a better way to clean lego or to keep it relatively dust free please tell me. You can check out this nice CG mini movie made last year by Treehouse based on lego Star Wars called "Revenge of the Brick".

Today I also realized that I'm a "Gook", a hybrid of geek and jock. A smart jock though, not dumb jock. Dumb jocks are pin headed athletic buffoons that can't tell the difference between an orangutan and a cow or do grade 1 math. I in the other hand was an athlete who graduated in kinesiology from McGill with almost a 3.5 GPA. So what makes me part geek also? Well I love tech stuff & sci-fi/fantasy related stuff, I buy toys for fun, I have 80's cartoons and movies on DVD, Red Dwarf & Blackadder are hilararious, I read Spider-man comics, I can probably beat most of my friends in either Star Wars or hockey trivia, I have a 1:18 scale replica of the Delorean Time Machine, and heck I've even been to a Star Trek convention (I still don't consider myself a Trekkie though)....So if you're a hybrid like me then you're a "Gook" too.

Anyhoo, turns out my friend Tiffany and I will be going to Game 6 after all. Let's just hope this doesn't end up being the game that the Habs lose the series in. Oh and for those who still wanted our extra tickets we already sold them to friends last week. GO HABS GO!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Glen said...

I always thought Gook meant something a bit more racially-charged.

May 04, 2006 8:01 AM  
Blogger Michael Choi said...

Thats true eh...hmm i didn't think of that, well i guess it can mean this too now haha...

May 05, 2006 12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home