Monday, February 13, 2006

Free bandwith, testing my HDV camcorder & where's Michael Franks?

For anyone who wants to do a podcast or video podcast (the next big thing to blogging) like me and is worried about storage & bandwith, then you should definitely check out Libsyn. I was researching on which blog site (Typepad or Wordpress) to host my video podcast when I heard about them on commandN (the Hak.5 guys use it for one of their podcasts). At Libsyn, all you have to do is to pay a small monthly fee to get storage space and unlimited bandwidth. Yes, "unlimited". I'm not entirely sure how they do it (apparently no one does either), but that they do it well. Aside from storing your files, Libsyn also allows you to start a blog, it manages your RSS feeds, and it even allows for easy BitTorrent file creation. You can even play/test it out yourself for free before signing up. I'm actually considering it since the last thing I want to worry about is paying for extra bandwith if more people start downloading our video and the fact that they take care of all the other stuff like RSS feeds and yada yada is a bonus...

In other news I finally tested my new Sony HDR HC1 camcorder today (didn't have a bag to bring it to hockey Friday) and I must say filming in high definition is really nice, and when you convert hi-def into standard-def it still looks way better than recording in standard definition. The sound quality is really good too. There are also a bunch of other neat features with the camcorder which I'm not going to go into detail about except for that it can also function as a digital camera too (2.8 megapixels) with a built in flash. I can take still pictures like any other camera or the neat thing is I can also take still pictures from a video recording. I just replay what I just filmed and click on the photo button when I want to make a still pic of that particular video footage. To see how well taking still pics were using the flash I decided to test it on one of my favorite Patlabor models I built from 3-4 years ago (you can view them at my flickr photos page). I wasn't able to get many angles since I had already placed it on a display shelf and I didn't want to disturb it but I have to say I was really impressed with the quality, they came out nicer than I expected, especially for something that was a built in feature, but then again this was a +$2000 HDV camcorder hehe. In anycase so far its really living up to its value. The next thing now is to see how well it does when you film (in HDV) people running and jumping, so I'm going to bring it to my martial arts/lion dance practice this week and hopefully get some video at hockey next week with some action pics too...

Last but not least for all those from Centennial and/or Dawson, hopefully you guys still remember Michael (Franks), one of my best friends. Well if you do and are wondering what happened to him, well he ran away to some boonie hick town (Prince George) in BC. I recently got him to start his own blog with Blogger so if you want to read up about what he's been up to (hanging with the natives...literally) you can. He did a pretty good job summarizing the last 2 years there and what he's going to do next. Anyhoo time to play more with my new HDV camcorder....


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home